Participating in a challenge course has a significant positive effect on leadership, motivation and problem-solving skills.
Organized groups who participate in team building courses reap untold benefits:
- Increased self-confidence
- More assertive problem solving
- Increased motivation and leadership
- Increased group cohesion
- Increased work efficacy
- Enhanced personal growth including increased self-esteem, competence and risk-taking, improved moods and sense of hope.
Building team trust and cohesiveness has been an important aspect of our outdoor planning for many years.
Team Challenge Course
Our course consists of 18 challenges at various stations along two of our trails that depend on a group’s ability to work together, brainstorm ideas and develop consensus as they work to achieve a common goal.
An exciting aspect of our course is our Universal Access trail. This trail enables handicapped campers to access areas along the Wilderness Trail System.
High Ropes Challenge Course
Located high off the ground in mature stands of native trees, this course offers challenges that push the individual, and thus the team, to rely on each other to overcome obstacles while completing the course. Our certified instructors provide thorough safety training, and guide the exercises to ensure that participants come away with improved teamwork, communication skills and self-esteem.
The High Challenge Course includes:
- A High Ropes Course
- Two 50 ft. climbing walls
- 600 ft. zip line
Skills learned on the course include:
- Outdoor skills
- Appropriate risk taking based on confidence in one’s own and the teams skills
- Team support
- Increasing one’s concept of abilities through experiential learning.
After session discussions address:
- Meeting and overcoming fears
- Assessing risk
- Using skills in a setting where risk exists
- Experiencing support and cooperation with teammates.
The Carilion Climbing Tower and Observation Deck
The Climbing Tower sits on the highest ridge on the property and includes an observation deck that offers a 360-degree view of the Blue Ridge skyline.
The tower provides:
- An treetop camping experience for small groups
- A hiking destination
- A parking/picnic area
The tower was made possible through grants from Carilion Community Health Partnership and support from many other companies in it’s conception and construction.