Reading, Writing & Reality
Apple Ridge has a dedicated team of Virginia-certified educators to meet specific academic objectives linked to the Virginia Standards of Learning. Depending on grade level, these include:
- Reading and Math Enrichment
- Written and Oral Communication Skills
- Computer Literacy
- Environmental Education
- College Preparation and Career Focus
In the 3rd and 4th session of camp we provide instruction and opportunities to explore Career Focus and College Preparation for our older campers. We also look at:
- Setting Goals
- Resume Writing
- Job Searches
These teens are facing major life choices that will impact their entire future. We give them opportunities to:
- Experience career ideas through conversations withlocal professionals
- Take them to visit universities and colleges (see chart on the left for schools we have visited)
- Offer 3 to 4 of our teen-aged youngsters employment as Junior Counselors
- Ten to 15 younger children are also awarded the opportunity to assist as Junior Counselors-In-Training.
This work experience recycles our resources within the community as it increases our children’s self-esteem and enables them to earn money.
We hold an annual parent night to encourage family involvement in education. There is no fee to campers in our Summer Academic Camp.